Monday, May 17, 2010

French Dip Sandwiches

As everyone probably knows, I love my crockpot. Roast was on sale the other day, so I picked up two. In attempts to expand my cooking knowledge (I only know how to make pot roast with a roast) I found this recipe for French Dip Sandwiches. This turned out great! It only took five minutes in the morning before work to put it all together and all I had to do was shred and load up on a hoggie when I got home. Now that is a quick dinner!!


French Dip Sandwiches Recipe
Ingredients
2.5-3 lb. beef roast (I used a frozen roast )
2 Tbsp. olive oil, salt and pepper
2 1-ounce packages dry onion soup mix
2 c. water
2 cans beef broth
6-8 large buns (or more...6 would be VERY generous servings!)
Swiss, provolone, or mozzarella cheese, shredded or sliced. (I used mild cheddar slices)
Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat and rub roast with salt and pepper.
When very hot, carefully place roast in pan and sear on all sides. You're not cooking the meat, you're just browning it quickly on all sides to add flavor and seal in the juices.
Place in crockpot and sprinkle with onion soup mixes. Pour water and beef broth over roast.
Cook 8-10 hours on low or cook 4-5 hours on high and another 3-4 hours on low. It's hard to screw this part up; basically, the longer it cooks, the more tender it will be. But you know it's done when you pop a fork in it and the meat just falls apart. (I put on low for about 10 hours)
When meat is ready, shred with a fork. Place meat in crusty rolls. Top with cheese and broil open-faced in the oven or toaster oven for a few minutes, until bread is golden and cheese is melty.
Ladle juices into small cups for dipping and enjoy!

No comments: