Wednesday, December 31, 2008

La Madeleine's Tomato Basil Soup


La Madeline is one of my favorite places to eat. It is a french bistro type place. They are famous for their tomato basil soup, so when I found a recipe for it I had to give it a try. I was surprised how much it tasted like the real thing! Definitely a keeper. It makes quite a bit of soup so I halved the recipe since it was just two of us. There was still plenty for leftovers. I bought a panini press during the Black Friday sales. It is my new favorite toy. So I made some turkey paninis to go with it. The dinner was a huge success. My husband gave it two thumbs up!
Here is the original recipe:
La Madeleine Tomato Basil Soup
Ingredients:
4 cups canned whole tomatoes, crushed
4 cups tomato juice
12 to 14 Basil leaves, washed
1 cup heavy cream
1/4 lb (1 stick) sweet, unsalted butter
Salt to taste
1/4 teaspoon crushed black pepper
Combine tomatoes and juice in a saucepan. Simmer over medium-low heat for 30 minutes. Cool slightly, then place in a blender or food processor and process with 12-14 basil leaves to puree. ( This might have to be done in small batches).
Return to sauce pan and add cream and butter, stir over low heat until cream and butter are incorporated. Garnish with basil leaves and serve.
Serves 8
WW Points per serving: 6pts.
For the paninis: I used Sourdough bread and spread spinach dip on each slice. Then placed turkey, tomato and asiago cheese slices. Put together and placed on panini press for 1-2 minutes. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Ashley said...

Ohhhhh! I am a big fan of tomato basil soup, and this one isn't terrible on the waistline so I just might have to try it!

d.fine09 said...

I am so excited to see this recipe here. I love La Madeleine's Tomamto Soup. I am going to also send the recipe to a friend who is a fanatic and recently moved where there isn't a restaurant. She will love it. Thanks a bunch!