Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Lemon Pepper Chicken with Artichoke Salsa

I know that I eat too many carbs. I can't help myself. I have a horrible obsession with pasta and bread. My two all-time favorite foods. Knowing that I really do need to cut back drastically on these loves, I am always on the look out for yummy low/no carb meals. This one matches that perfectly! Both my husband and I found it delicious. I know it looks really fancy, but really took no time to make. An easy 20-25 minute meal, max. This one is a keeper.


Lemon Pepper Chicken with Artichoke Salsa
From: http://iowagirleats.wordpress.com/
Serves 4

Ingredients:
4 chicken breasts
Lemon Pepper seasoning
1 bunch asparagus
4 handfuls baby spinach
Feta cheese*
2 small, ripe tomatoes** ( I forgot to add these )

Artichoke Salsa
1 can quartered artichoke hearts, drained and roughly chopped
2 T capers
1/4 small red onion, diced ( I omitted)
1 lemon, juiced
1 T chopped garlic
Sprinkle of red pepper flakes
3-4 dashes of dried oregano, or to taste
1-2 dashes of dried thyme, or to taste
S&P
Reduced-fat Italian salad dressing

Directions:

Spray chicken breasts with non-stick spray and season with lemon pepper on both sides. Grill 6-7 minutes a side, or until chicken is no longer pink in the middle

Snap bottoms of asparagus stalks off and cook using any of the following methods: Microwave with a little water in a microwave safe dish or steamer for 4-5 minutes; Roast in a 450 degree oven with a little olive oil and S&P for 5-6 minutes, shaking the pan half way through; Spray with non-stick spray and lay on the grill for 3-4 minutes, rolling stalks to grill on both sides half way through

In a medium sized bowl, combine ingredients for artichoke salsa. Add reduced-fat Italian salad dressing until desired consistency is reached.

Place a handful of spinach on a plate or in a bowl and top with cooked asparagus. Lay grilled chicken down and top with artichoke salsa. Sprinkle feta cheese on top. Serve!

* You could use any type of cheese you like to garnish this dish - or omit it all together!

**This is also really good topped with chopped, fresh tomatoes - or with sundried tomatoes added into the artichoke salsa!

No comments: