Thursday, May 21, 2009

Smothered Buttermilk Chicken

I tend to work long hours so I absolutely love my crockpot. I am in constant lookout for new, yummy recipes to use my crockpot. This one turned out good, but not great. I am not sure if I will make it again. My husband wasn't the biggest fan. I am not sure what I could do differently next time. If you try it and have an idea, I would love to hear it!


Smothered Buttermilk Chicken
4 servings Aprox 7pts
Not including Rice
From: WW Community Board

Ingredients:
1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs (I used breasts)
3 medium carrots -- sliced
1/3 cup onion -- chopped (I used onion powder)
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 bay leaf
1 package roasted chicken gravy mix
1/3 cup buttermilk
2 teaspoons flour
1 cup frozen peas

In a 4 to 6 quart crock pot, combine chicken, carrots, onion, water, butter, salt, pepper and bay leaf; mix well. Cover; cook on low setting for 6 to 8 hours or on high setting for 3 to 4 hours.

About 20 minutes before serving, stir gravy mix into crock pot. Remove and discard bay leaf. In a measuring cup, blend buttermilk and flour until smooth. Stir flour mixture and peas into chicken; mix well.

Cover, increase heat to high; cover and cook an additional 25-20 minutes or until peas are cooked. Serve with rice or biscuits.

No comments: