Monday, November 17, 2008

Goulash Night


Weather is starting to turn cold here in Texas and I wanted to make something warm and filling for dinner (and something I could take to work the next day). So I turned to my trusty Pauly Deen cook book. The lady knows how to cook! I found this recipe for goulash and it was perfect. My DH couldn't stop raving about it at dinner. Definitely a remake this winter. ( I halved the recipe so we wouldn't have too many leftovers)

Bobby's Goulash
From: The Deen Bros. Cookbook

Ingredients
2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
3 lbs ground beef (I used 1.5 lbs)
2 large onions, finely chopped (I omitted)
2 14.5 ounce cans diced tomatoes (I used 1 can)
1 29 ounce can tomato sauce ( I used one 15 oz can)
3 Tablespoons soy sauce ( I used a little over 1 tblsp)
2 teaspoons dried basil ( I used 1 teaspoon)
2 teaspoons dried oregano ( I used 1 teaspoon)
3 cloves garlic, minced ( I used 2, I love garlic)
1 teaspoon garlic powder
3/4 teaspoon salt ( I eyeballed it)
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper ( I eyeballed it)
2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni ( I used about 1 1/2 cup-love my pasta)

In a large Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Brown the meat in the oil about 10minutes, breaking meat up with a fork as it cooks. Add the onion; cook and stir for 5 minutes.

Add the remaining ingredients except the macaroni. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, for 20 minutes. Stir in the macaroni; simmer, covered, for 20 minutes. Let goulash stand for 20 minutes before serving.

I served it with some crusty bread and a little cheese on top.

** The original recipe makes 8-10 servings. By halving it, I estimated that it makes about 5 servings. The WW points per serving (for 5 servings) is about 5 points. **

No comments: